A beauty, health and lifestyle blog.

Saturday 7 March 2015

10 Tips To Make Your Makeup Last Longer

Urban Decay Vice 3 Eyeshadow
how to make your makeup last longer
One of the things that annoyed me most in my teenage years was my makeup coming off throughout the day. I actually hated it so much that when I was at college and working in retail in the evenings, I would actually take it all off when I finished college and reapply everything, which looking back seems bonkers just for work! But I was just so paranoid that it looked terrible.

But over the years I've picked up a few tips and tricks, so I thought I'd share them with you!

1. Moisturise. Moisturising is a primer in itself. However don't go straight in with your makeup! Wait a few minutes, go brush your teeth, or do your hair, I used to like to eat my breakfast. If you apply foundation straight away, it will basically slide off!

2. Primers. I don't really use a primer (but only because I haven't found one I like yet!) but I do use Urban Decay's setting spray (review here) which you can spray on before and after your makeup to help it last longer. This works for me.

3. Foundation. Use a good foundation, and if you have oily skin or really want your makeup to last all day, I'd go for a matte formula rather than dewy. Dewy formulas just seem to slide off my skin (although I do have oily skin) but my favourite Revlon Colorstay foundation which has a matte finish does not budge unless I wash my face properly.

4. Powder. If you want your foundation to stay put, powder is the way forward. I know some people hate powder as it does leave a matte finish, but you could try a translucent one and just pat on a tiny bit to set your foundation and it shouldn't really affect your dewy glow.

5. Lipliner. It stops your lipstick from bleeding and helps the colour last.

6. Lip salve. The thing I can't live without! Applying a thin layer before lipstick (especially if your lips are dry or your using a matte lipstick) will prevent the lipstick drying them out.

7. Eyeshadow. Quality eyeshadows like MAC and Urban Decay really do last all day. I have used Urban Decay eyeshadows for years now and never have I experience any creasing or colour fading throughout the day. They stay put! And an eye primer helps them stay put even better.

8. Liquid Eyeliner. When lining your upper lash line, unless you are going for a smudged look on purpose, I would use a liquid eyeliner, as they stay put much longer than a pencil or gel and don't smudge or end up under your eyes! My current favourite is the Loreal Super Liner in waterproof which does not budge!. I think everywhere must have sold out, but you can buy the regular one here.

9. Eyelash glue. If you like wearing false eyelashes, I would say the quality of the glue is more important than the quality of the eyelashes when it comes to staying power. Scrap the little one that comes with the set of eyelashes like you would an eyeshadow palette brush. I use DUO Eyelash Adhesive (review here) which is amazing and I've literally had it three years, one tube goes really far!

10. Touching. Don't touch or rub your face! That's how your makeup will come off. Don't pick at your eyelashes or rub your eyelashes either. Just refrain from going near the face area, you'll look so ladylike too! ;)

Calling for desperate measures?! Hairspray your face. I'm not saying this is good for your skin or will not make you break out (but it hasn't me yet) and I don't do this on a daily basis.. . But if I'm going out clubbing and know that I'll be getting sweaty, there is nothing else that will keep my makeup from budging but this trick! This worked quite a trick when I went to Ibiza. Humidity and makeup aren't a good mix! 

The only makeup products I tend to carry around with me are my lip salve, powder and lipstick. I just tend to blot any oil away throughout the day with my powder, and just top up my lip salve/stick. So if you've applied your makeup right, you shouldn't need to keep topping it up!

Do you have any makeup lasting tips that I missed out?

P.S. My eye makeup in these photos was done with the new(ish) Urban Decay Vice 3 Palette, which I may have filmed a tutorial for! I just need to edit it...
Share:

25 comments

  1. Your make up is flawless. Love this post :) I really like seeing what make up others are using and tips. Like the hairspray believe it or not I never thought to try that Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) haha I do use that as a precaution when I really need my makeup to last!xx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant tips. Brilliant post. I'm always touching my face and picking my eyelashes this really affects, it's really a terrible habbit!!!
    - LL. X
    www.cautivarbyll.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) haha it is if you want your mascara to stay on! :P xx

      Delete
  3. when I was younger my makeup always came off but I found that it was the doing of cheap drugstore makeup!

    https://www.bloglovin.com/people/manishaanwari2-11510825

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that some drugstore brands are good, I use Revlon foundation and swear by it! But others do seem to slide off, you just need to do some research and find out which ones are worth buying :) xx

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of putting hairspray on your face before! I guess you just need to make sure you keep your mouth closed because that stuff tastes sick! Laura Mercier has a really nice foundation primer if you're looking for one to try :)

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and close your eyes!! Hairspray does hold your makeup in place but I won't say it's good for your skin :P Thanks I will add that to my wishlist! :) xx

      Delete
  5. Your eyebrows look fab in the photo! I really want to try out the Urban Decay setting spray soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I used Benefit Browzings :) The spray is definitely worth a try! xx

      Delete
  6. I really want to try urban decay setting spray! You and your makeup look gorgeous!
    Hope you've had a great saturday,
    Bethany x

    bethanygraceo.blogspot.dk

    Do pop over to my blog, if you fancy of course, and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, I like the night version! Thank you lovely :) x

      Delete
  7. I wish I could do my makeup as beautiful as yours! Love the hair spray tip, always use it on a night out haha :) Rebecca | www.rebeccamariee.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm sure you can! haha it's a naughty tip really! xx

      Delete
  8. I'm really trying to not wear as much makeup these days - but making whatever I do wear last longer is always good to know! Thank you!! :)

    www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's a good idea, I don't wear much for work and do have makeup free days, but for blog posts I go all out! You're welcome :) x

      Delete
  9. Eyeshadow primer makes such a difference! Even cheap makeup stays on with it!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I'm going to use the lip tips :) thanks !

    Joksie // WEAREMONOCHROME

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post, some really good tips here and your make-up looks absolutely stunning, you look gorgeous <3

    http://amelodyofdiaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts! :) x

© Being Becca | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig